As the pivot week from the season's first half into its second half, Week 9 was about the end of mojo:
(Meanwhile, we've got a top contender for the Game Finish of the Year in the NFL: The wild Redskins win over the Cowboys, featuring (1) a botched game-winning field goal – by the REDSKINS – (2) then a botched game-winning field goal by the Cowboys, (3) then a Redskins blocked-kick returned to the no man's land of the middle of the field, (4) then a face-mask penalty on the Cowboys, giving the Skins an added 15 yards PLUS keeping the "0:00" from actually meaning the game is over, (5) then a game-wining field goal by the second-chance Redskins.)A run-down of lost mojo, Week 9 edition:
Bears: Like 1985 all over again! Season's 2nd half no walk.
Michael Vick: Didn't he used to be an MVP candidate?
Bengals: 4 straight losses. Makes off-field trouble look fun.
T.O.: "The Nap" TD celebration precedes key drops
Brett Favre: 2 horrible, game-blowing INTs. As usual.
Giants: Even with a W, sure didn't LOOK like an NFC contender.
Rams: Worst run defense ever? (Or just another victim of LJ?)
Reggie Bush: 11 rushes for -5 yards (4 rec for 22 yards). Dud!
Vince Young: As called here, he's a poor man's David Garrard
Steelers: Well, this sort of started in Week 1, didn't it?
A few shout-outs to some Sunday studs:
(1) Nick Novak: Miss game-winning FG? No problem. Here's another shot.
(2) Roy Williams: Time to ask/argue: Best WR in the NFL this season?
(3) Marques Colston: Makes Reggie Bush's failures all the more ironic.
(4) Damon Huard: Trent Green has been "Trent Greened"... again!
(5) Brian Billick: It took long enough (and firing buddy Jim Fassel), but he's finally flexing his "genius" as an offensive coordinator.
Comment question: Who are your biggest Week 9 Studs (and Duds), along with your analysis of the big revelations from the day's games. Ideally, it'll help me sound less stupid in Monday's revision.-- D.S.