(1) Oklahoma is AP preseason No. 1: Hard to believe that 36 so-called college football experts who make up more than half of the AP college football poll actually believe that Oklahoma would beat Alabama in the national title game. Because that's what ranking OU No. 1 ahead of Alabama says.
(2) Peyton Manning's neck? Uh oh. If it's bad enough that Jim Irsay is tweeting about it and that Manning might miss the season opener, it's MUCH worse than you think it is.
(3) Get on the Beckwagon! Journeyman-to-starter Redskins QB John Beck might be the most intriguing player in the NFL this season.
(4) Oregon RB Lache Seastrunk -- at the heart of its recruiting scandal this summer with Willie Lyles -- has been granted his release to transfer. Both Oregon and Seastrunk are better off for it.
(5) So I was in DC last night but didn't go to the Nats game -- so I missed Ryan Zimmerman's walk-off grand slam to beat the Phillies...
...And I left this morning -- so I'm missing the "Capital Punishment" summer hoops showdown between the stars of DC's Goodman League (featuring Kevin Durant and John Wall) against the stars of LA's Drew League (featuring Brandon Jennings and James Harden), which is going to be one of the most unique basketball experiences of the past decade.