UPDATE! This week's edition of my Deadspin CFB guest-post is up.
Let's get right to it. Here's my preseason Top 25, with an emphasis on which team I think will win the national title.
1. Virginia Tech (BlogPoll: 8)
4. USC (BP: 1)
5. LSU (BP: 2)
11. Wisconsin (BP: 9)
12. TCU (BP: 26)
16. BC (BP: 33)
18. Auburn (BP: 15)
BlogPoll Top 25 teams I had unranked:
(1) This is how I predict the teams will finish the season, with my emphasis being on the Top 10 contenders. (20-25 was my guess at Top 25 sleepers.) As soon as there is actual 2007 performance on the field to account for, I'm sure this listing will change radically, particularly after Week 1.
(2) Yes, I am picking Virginia Tech to win the national title. Yes, that's driven in large part by the "it HAS to be the Hokies, this of all seasons" effect.
And, yes, this implies that I think that VA Tech will go down to Baton Rouge and upset LSU on 9/8, then -- using that as the springboard -- go unbeaten, with that win at LSU arguably the single-best win that any of the contenders will be able to point to.
And, in a CFB season likely to be defined by explosive offense, I love the Hokies' stifling D (not to mention returning experience on BOTH sides of the ball).
(3) I also think that it will be a moot point: VA Tech will be the only BCS team to go unbeaten. Of the rest of the contenders, I think
(4) Yes, I recognize that I'm VERY down on
(5) Here you go: Which team do YOU think will win the national title? Will they go unbeaten? Who will they be playing? If you foresee a messy ending, who will be involved and why will it be messy?