After a long weekend where I didn't really have access to a computer, I'm back with a bunch of random thoughts on yesterday's NFL results, plus BCS analysis, college hoops, NBA, MLB Hot Stove and more:
(1) Ravens shut out defending champs: I'm not sure whether
(2) Tomlinson for MVP: After his 3-TD game yesterday (2 rush, 1 pass), LaDainian Tomlinson has created a situation where everyone else is playing for 2nd place in the NFL MVP race. (LT needs 5 TDs in 5 games to break Shaun Alexander's single-season TD record. That didn't take long. He might do it in 2 weeks. In 5 games, he might seat an unbreakable standard.)
(3) Giant collapse: I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite like the Giants' 21-point 4th-quarter collapse. But I do know that Vince Young put on a show worth vaulting him into the Rookie of the Year race.
(Speaking of Rookie of the Year, does Redskins QB Jason Campbell count? It's not like he had ever played before last week. And this week, he's leading the Skins to a win, improbably calling his own game-winning play when his helment radio fizzled out.)
(4) Bears lose to Pats: Is it time for the Bears to bench Rex Grossman?
(5) Vick's flick (-off): The image of the week was of Michael Vick flipping off (with TWO hands!) the boo birds in
Star of the Week: Drew Brees.
Comments Question: What were your biggest developments of the NFL week?
More on today's top storylines:
BCS Mania: Isn't it refreshing to have some clarity? If USC beats UCLA next week, it's USC vs.
(If USC loses, the title game appears to be OSU vs.
But when USC beats UCLA (as they inevitably will), the BCS will beat back a controversy this season.
CFB Coaches: Bring me the head of... The last game of the regular season means holiday shopping and the annual firing of head coaches.
Right up until Alabama fired Mike Shula. Perhaps Steve Spurrier and Greg Schiano weren't interested in the
(More: NC State fired Chuck Amato. Could Norm Chow be the next head coach? Sounds more wishful thinking than reality. And
College Hoops: I'd prefer to accept
Who's CBB No. 1? Speaking of doomed, just try to figure out who really deserves to be No. 1 in the polls this week.
NBA: Spurs are road warriors. The Spurs are only the fourth team in 10 years to start 7-0 on the road. Meanwhile, the Nuggets have claimed the title of NBA's Most Entertaining Team from the Suns. Carmelo went over 30 points... again. Scoring title in his future?
MLB: Matsuzaka, Red Sox far apart. Who didn't see THAT coming? The Sox want to pay $7-8M;
More MLB: Giants targeting Manny? The most awesome upshot of Ramirez going to